Every scar has a story to tell, particularly those severe ones which require time to heal. Scars are emotionally and psychologically challenging affecting quality of life and self-esteem.
Let’s understand scars better, before knowing the treatment options.
What causes the body receive a scar mark?
Formation of a scar is body’s natural healing responses that occur after an injury. The skins of younger individuals are more resilient and elastic, compared to older ones, thus an elderly person develops more severe scar than a child from the same injury. Scars treated at the early stages shows the best results.
Acne scars are trails left behind by pimples. They are quite unpredictable as you never know when the next one break out and end up in a blemish or a pit on your otherwise perfect face. Acne scars are a very common concern among teens and young adults because it makes your skin look aged, tired and damaged.
- Atrophic Scars: Scars are depressed, serrated of flat against the upper layer of the skin. It usually is hyperpigmented. Atrophic scars are caused by tissue damage resulting in loss of tissue integrity.
- Rolling Scars: As the name implies , rolling scars cause a rolling or wavelike appearance on your skin. It pulls the epidermis and binds it at the deeper structures of your skin, hence the rolling look.
- Ice picked scars: These scars are deep but very narrow, that go deeper in to the dermis. It looks like as if your skin is pierced by an ice pick.
- Boxcar scars: This scar looks usually round or oval with steeply angled edges. It appears wider than ice picked scar and has pitted appearance.
Accident/Surgical scars: Scars that is formed from an injury in form of accidental burns or cuts undergoes a natural process of healing and replacing the damaged tissue, often resulting in scars.
- Hypertrophic & Keloid Scars:
Hypertrophic scars appear elevated because of the excessive tissue that develops over skin opening caused by an infection or injury
Keloid scars appear when skin responds with an abnormally aggressive healing attempt, resulting in a clustered, thick scar that appears darker and elevated. The keloid is triggered by any injury and the body produces excess collagen in the affected area, even after the original wound has healed and closed. The keloid may be itchy in some patients.
- Scar Contractures / Burn Scars: These are often a result of burns, and they cause the skin to contract or tighten. These scars are more challenging to treat and may require extensive procedures like scar excision, skin grafting and tissue expansion.
These scars happen usually in people who have experienced extreme weight loss or gain in teenagers, and during pregnancy. The skin is stretched beyond its elasticity, particularly in areas like derrière, thighs, abdomen and breast area when a person grows or shrinks too fast. Initially, stretch marks may look red/pink or purple, but over time it gets lighter and looks silver in color.
Dermatological Treatments Vs Creams
While comparing dermatological treatment with scar removal creams, it is vital to remember that both are useful in treating accident scars. Your physician may advise a combination of both to reduce your scars effectively. But using only the scar removal creams will not be effective in reducing the scars. Some of the other drawbacks of using only these accidental scar removal creams are:
- They are not as potent-Scar removal creams do not work on all types of scars. For example, only an advanced dermatological treatments can reduce bumpy (hypertrophic) or pitted (atrophic) scars.
- They are not 100% Effective- Some of the scar removal creams are ineffective and may cause side effects like discoloration of the skin. Some people report developing white patches on the skin.
- They take longer- Scar removal creams cannot penetrate till the required depth where injections and lasers can reach. So they may or may not reduce the scars even if you use them daily for months together. Instead, dermatological treatments will provide quicker and more effective results.
What are the scar treatment options available at Gawai Healthcare?
- Laser Treatment – This is one of the best treatments for reducing accident scars. Your physician will use a CO2 laser beam in a controlled manner on a target area; the light and heat energy from the laser help in removing the damaged layers of the skin and deliver visible results. All lasers used at Gawai Healthcare are FDA approved for its efficacy and the technology.
- Chemical Peels – Chemical peels use a combination of certain plant extracts and chemicals in varying concentrations. These peels help in exfoliating and removing all the dead skin cells. They are effective in treating pigmented scars. Your physician will apply the peel to the scarred area and leave it for a stipulated time. The doctor then would wash it away and allow the skin to heal naturally post-treatment. You may be prescribed a skin repair cream and a sun block suiting your skin type and condition.
- Microneedling Radiofrequency: It adds the element of Radio Frequency energy to the traditional microneedling procedure. The RF energy is delivered to the skin via microneedles, enhancing skin tightening and scar reduction. Since the area of treatment is deep, it can produce faster and more dramatic results. It is safe to use in any skin type and tone.
The mechanisms involved are neo-collagenogenesis by needle penetration stimulating the release of growth factors and relative sparing of epidermis and adnexal structures which contribute to rapid healing
Used in treatment of
-Fine lines facial wrinkles
-Scarring from acne chicken pox etc
-Mild to moderate skin laxity
-Irregular skin texture and tone
Most of the patients achieve results in 2-3 treatment sessions, spaced about four weeks apart.The number of treatment will depend on how well the patient responds to the treatment and the severity of the skin issues to be addressed. Its advisable to go beyond 4 sessions to get even more results.
RF microneedling can offer similar to ablative laser procedures (with down time),
but with significantly less discomfort and downtime. Procedure takes almost less than an hour. The redness post session is transient , which will be normal in a day or two. The redness is considerably lesser than the laser treatments.
The MNRF device at Gawai Healthcare is the most acclaimed world class device and is also FDA approved machine and technology
- Punch Technique
Punch Excision – This procedure uses a small punch tool to cut the scar from the skin. Once the scar is excised, the skin will be sutured closed.
Punch Graft – When the scar is excised, a skin graft will be used to fill in the void. Usually, the graft is taken behind the ear since it is less noticeable.
Punch Elevation – When it comes to this method, only the base of the scar is excised. Then the base of the skin will be elevated to the skin’s surface where sutures, steri-strips or skin glue will be used to attach it.
- Subcision This method is advisable for rolling or depressed acne scars. A needle or small scalpel will be used to cut the bands of tissue that tethers the skin to deeper levels. As a result, the skin will lift visibly, smoothing the skin’s surface.
- Dermal Filler – filler substance such as human collagen or hyaluronic acid will be injected into the acne scar. Then the base of the scar will be elevated so it is more even with the skin’s surface.
- Microneedling PRP – In this treatment a one-time use sterile microneedling cartridge is used .The mechanized devise is used over concerned area multiple times in a specified manner causing micro injury and collagen remodeling. Induction of PRP and other serums like hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C are used for enhanced results, which is now facilitated by the micro channels created on the scar surface by the microneedles.
- Topical Creams For Accident Scars – Certain topical medications contain ingredients like silicone, Vitamin A, C & E, Sulphur, triclosan, etc. This prescription creams help in fading the scars when used in combination with the above treatments. You should use these scar removal creams under the strict supervision of a dermatologist.
- Steroid Injections –Steroids are injected directly at the target area to reduce itching, redness and burning sensations. It may also decrease the size of some scars.
- What is the cost of accident scar removal treatment in India?
The cost of scar removal depends on the size of the scar as well as the treatment option you choose. There are many types of procedures, and each one has a different price.
- How Can Acne Scars Be Prevented?
But why would you want to go through any of these treatments when you can prevent pimple scars on the first place? If you want to minimize acne scars, especially when you are suffering from cystic acne, here are some of the things you can do.
- Treat acne as soon as possible. In short, don’t let it go worse.
- Stay away from anything that can further irritate or inflame your skin.
- Do not squeeze, pick, prick or pop pimples.
- In case of cyst or deep breakouts, consult your doctor immediately.
- How many sessions of treatment are suggested?
Again, the number of sessions depends entirely on the treatment suggested by the physician. Another factor is the depth and size of the scar. If the scar is deep and very old, it will take several sessions to reduce it visibly.
- Are these treatments painful?
If the treatment considered is a painful one, then the physician will apply a numbing gel or local anesthesia to make you comfortable. Removing scars does not translate to additional pain.
- Do home remedies help in the removal of an accident scar?
Home remedies are the go-to solution for many people. Most of them are ineffective in treating the accident scars; moreover, their safety and efficacy are questionable. You should seek professional medical help to treat severe scars rather than use ineffective home remedies.
- Do dermatological treatments remove the scar completely?
Advanced dermatological procedures reduce all kinds of scars visibly.
If you have an accident scar, consult an expert to determine the most suitable course of treatment for reducing it visibly. Go ahead and book an appointment at Gawai Healthcare today.
Reasons to choose Gawai Health care for all your skin issues
- Expert in-house cosmetic dermatologists with years of experience and knowledge in treating all types of acne scars
- Advanced USFDA approved equipment are used to ensure efficacy and safety
- Pixel CO2 laser resurfacing, skin peels, TCA cross peel, subcision, punch excision, fillers, and other clinical treatments are done effectively
- We know individual needs and conditions, and we customize our treatment for the best patient benefit and comfort.
- Our time tested protocols are followed throughout the treatment procedure which starts with an initial comprehensive consultation till the end of every session of acne scar treatment
- Extensive checklists and contraindications list are provided to the candidate post the treatment for optimal safety and efficacy
- We are proud to say that we have given an acne scar free life to over 1 Lakh+ candidates and the happy client’s percentage stays over 91%
- We know you would love to have your treatment in private, thus we assign an individual consultation and service room to you.